February 04, 2010

Bob And The Beancast

Here at Ad Contrarian global headquarters, our first order of business is to call 'em as we see 'em.

Last week I got account planners all aflutter and atwitter when I said planning needed to die. Honestly, I didn't think it was so harsh. In a previous post I said it was the planners that needed to die, not the planning. But that was back when I was young and opinionated.

Naturally, lots of commenters said I was a moron and explained to me how I just didn't get it. You know, the usual.

This week, a marketing industry podcast (who knew podcasts still existed?) called the Beancast took up the topic.

Four very important marketing people (VIMPs) discussed my rant and did a pretty good job of making it seem almost reasonable.

The moderator was Bob Knorpp. The panelists were:
If you'd like to hear their discussion, it's below. (Just as an aside, you have to be a freaking electrical engineer to get audio onto a Blogger post. After exploring 10 different ways of doing it, what I ultimately had to do was turn it into a Quicktime movie, upload it to YouTube, then embed it in the post. This whole thing must have been designed by a fucking account planner. Anyway, that's why you have to look at my stupid logo while you're listening to it.)

But seriously, thanks to Bob, Edward, Sally, Len and Abbey. To hear the whole show, go here.



By the way, the quote of mine they screwed up on the podcast was this, "the creative department makes the advertising and everyone else makes the arrangements."

No comments: